Thursday, July 24, 2008

quilt day

I am late today....it's almost tomorrow. I've had a two and a half day headache...sinuses ugh!
Anyway, I made it to the quilt guild meeting this morning and our speaker was a sweet little 81 year old lady...a member of our guild. And she gave a lecture on Baltimore Bride quilts. She made the above quilt and it has over 1000 grapes on it. And it is all hand pieced and hand quilted.

Since I am a Baltimore girl I had to show some of the blocks from the various quilts.

this one has ruching...did I spell that correctly?


I love how these look but I don't have the patience for all that applique.
I will stick to my art quilts for now...later? who knows?...maybe



3 comments:

deb musick said...

I have a couple of the hand-pieced and hand-quilted quilts from my grandmother & my great aunt. They belonged to a Quilting Club and they would meet at my grandmother's house. She had a huge quilt frame that was on pullies and she could lower it in her huge living room. The women would sit around it and quilt with the tiny needles. Their stitches were small, uniform and perfect! What artists they were!

deb musick said...

And may I add? Have you all looked at the Gee's Bend Quilts? They are amazing. Made by the women of Gee's Bend, Alabama.(www.quiltsofgeesbend.com). I was fortunate to actually see them in New York City several years ago at the Whitney Museum of American Art. If you ever get the opportunity to see them in person--do so. Ready the stories--it is such a part of Quilting History and our American History! And a true triumph for all women!

suze said...

Thanks Debbie! Yes I am familar with the quilts of Gee's Bend. They are amazing but I have not seen them in person...you lucky girl!